Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Thought or Two to Share with You

You might think that I should be embarrassed by what I'm about to admit, but I'm not. I must admit, that on occasion, I listen to Justin Bieber (or JB or Justice Beaver or whatever you want to call him). His songs are catchy and the lyrics, on a rare occasion, have some inspirational meaning to them. I was listening to his song "As Long As You Love Me" the other day and the part came on where Big Sean does his little rap performance (fun fact about me, I have been known to spit a rhyme or two, not freestyle of course but I've got a few rap songs down pretty well). Some of the lyrics he said actually had some substance to them and rang true to me. Those lyrics are...

"But, the grass ain't always greener on the other side,
it's green where you water it."

Sad that those came from a Justin Bieber pop song? Maybe. Does that make them any less true? Not at all. I think that all too often people, especially myself, get extremely frustrated about things not working out for them the way they want them to. Whether it be relationships, professional or academic endeavors, spiritual wellness, etc. etc. The only way to really succeed is to try. The more attention you pay to something and the more you work at it, the more likely you are going to be to achieve excellence in that area of your life. 

One thing to watch out for is spreading yourself too thin and trying to make many things work, or be the absolute best at everything when in reality, that's just not very likely to happen. There are those wonderpeople who are excellent at everything they try without even having to practice, and who can almost always avoid failure, but for most of us, that's not going to happen. I was talking with a friend yesterday about life and they shared with me the importance they saw in making a choice, picking something to focus on and putting your full attention and effort into that. That's not to say you should only be a basketball player, or you should only take science classes. No. But there comes a time when we try to do too much or to have more than we possibly can and then it all falls down to nothing. Balance is a very important thing but knowing how to correctly use that balance, and investing yourself fully into the time you decide to devote to something, is crucial.

There's my mental blurb for now. Have a merry Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment