Saturday, April 13, 2013

So You Think You Have Mono?


mon·o·nu·cle·o·sis: (/ˌmänəˌn(y)o͞oklēˈōsəs/) An abnormally high proportion of monocytes in the blood.

Once upon a time, about 2, maybe 2 and 1/2 weeks ago, I was a young girl in college with so much to do and so little time. I was running about, running around, and getting run down. One Sunday night I began to feel like there were itchy marbles in my throat. I wanted to keep hanging out with my friends so of course I ignored this feeling. 

The next day I woke up, feeling sicker than the day before. I didn't feel like death though so I decided to trek through my day. I went to classes from 9-11 then went to work. By the end of my shift I felt the deathly ill feeling creep into me and start to take residence. I decided that it would be best if I didn't go to the rest of my classes that evening. I went home, took some Tylenol, and slept like a baby (up every hour, crying) (just kidding). 

The next day I woke up and felt much better (disclaimer: I didn't realize that it was basically just because I still had Tylenol in my system). I went to work and felt okay, and because of my ignorance I wore myself way too thin and pushed myself too far and ended up feeling sicker than ever that night. 

The next day I didn't feel terrible but I didn't want to take the risk. I skipped my classes, put up my work hours, and spend the day in my bed. I worked on homework as much as I could but it was difficult for me to keep focus. I had fun plans to go to a concert the next day and wanted to be over this thing by then, so I gave my body as much rest as I could possibly stand. 

The next day I went to work again and even picked up some extra hours. By the time I came home I was again, beat. I was excited about going to the concert that night so I decided to tough it out, take a quick nap, and put on a tough face. My friend and I took the front runner up to Salt Lake, had some dinner and made it to the concert venue. As more people came the room got warmer and I got sicker. We eventually decided to sit on the floor in the corner for a bit until I suggested that maybe I just needed to step outside for a minute and get some fresh air. We started to walk out the door when the bouncer or whatever he was (I've never been to a concert before so I don't know what to call him) told us that there was no re-entry. I turned to go back in but my friend insisted that we leave the concert and get home. I was upset because I wanted to be tough and didn't want to ruin the concert but my friend was incredibly considerate and I actually felt really sick, so I finally gave in. We took the front runner back to Provo and when we got home I went right to bed.

Friday I felt a better but not 100% yet. I felt well enough though that I decided I would be fine to go to our Easter family party in Salt Lake. Halfway through the party I retreated to the couch where I curled up and tried my best to drift off to dream land.

Saturday I had plans to go to the Color Festival in Spanish Fork with some friends but learning from past experiences in the week, I decided that it probably wouldn't be a good idea. Instead I tried to see the doctor but was unsuccessful. Instead, I set up an appointment for the next week with my pediatrician. (Yes, I am 21, and I still see my pediatrician. And yes, I usually am about 8-10 times the age of any other patient there. And no, I don't intend on changing doctors anytime soon, no sooner than I absolutely have to at least...)

Anyway, the next week was a lot better but I still took it pretty easy. I went to see my pediatrician on that Thursday and he had me get a blood test taken. The next Tuesday I got a call from the lab, informing me that the results came in and that I had tested positive for Mono. Hooray... (She also told me that I should be over the contagious stage, lucky for me.)

In all honesty I hear all about how terrible Mono is, and I definitely feel the effects of it, but I haven't found it to be as terrible as everyone's told me it is. So lucky for me, I guess my case is a lot less serious than many others. So no worries people! I'm feeling better and better each and every day.

So, if you think you have Mono...

No comments:

Post a Comment